It’s easier to give up than to start.
It’s easier to throw in the towel than to pick up the towel(figuratively speaking).
Think of a long metre race.
Think of a sprinter about to start a race – All charged up, brewing with a mixture hope and determination, with exciting toppings of a clear plan and vision of winning the gold medal in the next 45minutes.
Then fast forward to few minutes later and imagine that same sprinter. Sweat pouring down in beads as he strides through the lanes like his life depends on it but then hope begins to dwindle and a blurry vision emerges as he sees his opponents dash ahead of him at his both sides. Energy reduces, Determination fades and the clear vision of winning the medal closes in on him. He wants to give up because he doesn’t want to fail.
As much as we have the power to start, we have equal power to quit. There are so many reasons why we can quit. Every one has a tendency to quit something in their life.
School, a job, a business, a marriage, a relationship, family, a career, life, think of anything. I for one, I’ve contemplated quitting a couple of things in my life which includes my course of study. The reason being, it got so hard at a point I thought I was going to either quit or die. Lol.
There are many challenges to life that pressure us so much into giving up.
But here’s 5 reasons why neither you or I should:
1. The problem isn’t that ‘Mountain’ Big – Suicidal and quitting thoughts come when we think there’s absolutely no way out. But is there really no way out? Is the problem that Big of a mountain that we must give up? Well to be honest, some problems are that big, but it’s never impossible.
Mark 10:27 says, “….With men it is impossible, but not with God; for with God all things are possible.”
So if you’re standing on a plane of impossibility, try standing on a smoother plane – God’s word.
2. You have staying power – This is true. There’s a power in us that comes out when we need it, to our surprise. Over the years of studying Electronic engineering and come close to giving up, I’ve harnessed this power and it’s one of the reasons I haven’t quit – One of the reasons I still keep pushing till I see the finish line – soon. You might think there’s no power left in you, but trust me, there is. You only have to take one more step to not quitting.
Philippians 4:13 says, “..I can do all things through Christ who strengthens me.”
This has been my superpower.
3. It will eventually Pass – The challenges you faced last year, last month, and even down to yesterday aren’t always the same as the one you’re facing now and the one you’ll face tomorrow and in the future. This suggests two things. One is, we are not laminated from the challenges of life; It is something that will always be. And two, that they are all destined to pass. So, why quit this one when there’s another one ahead? Are we going to quit at every stage of our lives because it seems too tough to bear?
1 Corinthians 10:13 says “No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able to bear, but with the temptation He will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it”
4. They’re more people who believe in you than you think – Whenever I think of the people who really believe in me, even in areas I fail to believe in myself, I’m motivated to keep going. I know it’s not about them, but about you, but hey, it’s also about them too. Because they want the best for you and what’s best for you is to keep going. If it seems so hard, take a break if you have to, relax, re-strategize, re-plan, and do whatever it is you think will strike that flame again and keep burning. Just do You, without letting anyone put unhealthy pressure on you.
Hebrews 12:1 says, “Therefore we also, since we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses, let us lay aside every weight, and the sin which so easily ensnares us, and let us run with endurance the race that is set before us, looking unto Jesus, the author and finisher of our faith, who for the joy that was set before Him endured the cross, despising the shame, and has sat down at the right hand of the throne of God..”
5. You’ll look back and be grateful you didn’t give up – I know in the not-so-far-away future, I’m going to look back to these times and smile gratefully at God that I didn’t quit school and a few other things, that I’d only cried but didn’t give up on the seemingly mountainous problems. I’m going to be proud of myself for making that decision, and best of all, I’m going to inspire others with the same thing. And at that point, I won’t feel the pain and the stress of the past no more, it’ll be a new season, with it’s own different challenges too. Lol.
🍦Let’s Talk: Any more reasons you think we shouldn’t Give up at anything? I’ld love to hear from you!